During Corona, working from home during the day was suddenly required in many circumstances. Some people were very positive about this experience, while others were happy to go back to work. What are the benefits and drawbacks of working from home, and what should you consider if you want to (continue to) do so in the future?
Top 5 benefits of working from home
The advantages of working from home are:
- Increased flexibility: Working from home allows you to set your schedule and work at the times that are most convenient for you.
- Reduced commuting time and expenses: When you work from home, you don’t have to spend time and money commuting to and from the office.
- Improved work-life balance: Working from home can help you better balance your work and personal commitments, as you don’t have to worry about the time and effort it takes to commute to and from work.
- Greater productivity: Some people find that they are more productive when they work from home, as they can eliminate distractions and create a more comfortable and personalized work environment.
- Cost savings: Working from home can also save you money on things like gas, car maintenance, and business attire.
These benefits are not only interesting for employees. A lot of companies discovered the pros of working at home and have incorporated this into their working model. But apart from these pros, there are also some downsides.
The downsides of working from home
Working from home does come with its challenges.
- Isolation: One of the main drawbacks of working from home is that it can be isolating. You may miss the social interaction and camaraderie of a traditional office setting.
- Distractions: It can be easy to get distracted when you work from home, especially if you have kids, pets, or other household responsibilities.
- Lack of structure: Some people may find it difficult to stay motivated and focused when they don’t have the structure and supervision of an office setting.
- Technology issues: Working from home can also lead to technical issues, such as internet connectivity problems or difficulty accessing certain programs or systems.
- Challenges with work-life balance: It can be difficult to separate work and personal life when you work from home, as you may feel pressure to be available for work at all times.
In short, working from home has both advantages and disadvantages, so you need to figure out if it’s a good fit for you.
Tips for those who are considering working from home
If you do decide to work from home, here are some tips to consider:
- Set boundaries: It’s important to set boundaries between your work and personal life when you work from home. This can help you avoid burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Create a designated workspace: Having a designated workspace can help you stay focused and avoid distractions. It doesn’t have to be a separate room, but it should be a quiet and comfortable space where you can work.
- Develop a routine: Creating a routine can help you stay motivated and productive. This might include setting specific times for work, breaks, and exercise, as well as establishing a daily to-do list.
- Stay connected: Working from home can be isolating, so it’s important to stay connected with your coworkers and friends. Use video conferencing tools or messaging apps to have virtual meetings and catch-ups.
- Take breaks: It’s important to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge. This can help you avoid burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Be flexible: Working from home requires a certain level of flexibility, as you may have to adapt to unexpected disruptions or changes. It’s important to be open to trying new approaches and finding what works best for you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help: If you’re struggling with the transition to working from home or are having trouble with a specific task, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Your employer or coworkers will likely be happy to assist you.
In conclusion, working from home comes with a ton of benefits that can greatly improve your quality of life. From increased flexibility and improved work-life balance to increased productivity and cost savings, there are plenty of reasons to consider working from home. Just make sure to set boundaries, create a routine, and stay connected with your colleagues to ensure a successful and enjoyable experience.
There are many books about working from home. I can recommend the following titles:
- “Remote: Office Not Required” by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- “The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future” by Chris Guillebeau
- “The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy” by Chris Bailey
- “The 2022 Remote Work Guide: How To Work From Home And Make Money In 2022” by Emily Jones